Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Anatomy Triptych




So there was Aokigahara, and then there was a piece that turned out so bad it will never see the light of internet, and then there was my triptych. All of these pieces attempted to marry forms occurring in nature and human anatomy.

My triptych started with the idea that lightning was a very organic form and resembled similar forms I had already worked with, like blood vessels and tree limbs. I'd been wanting to work with bronchial tubes in some way for a while and I came up with the idea of replacing the bronchial network inside some one with lightning. After that I decided I wanted to make a triptych of the same image with different natural forms inside the lungs. I'd also been wanting to use mushroom gills and decided that that would be part of the triptych. Coming up with the third was a struggle and had originally been something else entirely. I thought that the bronchial tubes resembled coral and settled on that.

The color choices came from the subject matter of the natural forms. I imagined the lightning on a deep blue sky and blue became the palette for the first. Then I chose a brownish/green for the mushrooms since I thought it felt earthy and also kind of rotten at the same time. The coral I wanted to use the actual color coral, but wound up with more of a pinky/dusty rose.

I'm pretty happy with this piece. The coral lungs ended up looking just like what the bronchial system looks like anyway, except pink and speckled, so that ended up not being different enough. I also wish the color was more orangey/brown and less pink. I also wish I had a better title. When I originally thought of the lightning as bronchial tubes, I came up with the title "Rapidly Expanding" to refer to the way lightning makes air rapidly expand, and to the idea of lungs expanding with air. That title only referred to the first and therefore couldn't fit for the piece as a whole, so I decided on something bland.

Watercolor on cold press.

No comments:

Post a Comment